Shambhavi Mudra Benefits, Steps, and Precautions: Yoga is one of the greatest gifts in the world. It is one of the oldest meditation practices and is a form of exercise adopted by people worldwide. It includes many types of asanas, postures, and different kinds of activities.
Yoga is helpful not only as an exercise but also in curing many other diseases. It also helps deal with many different issues like stress, depression, anxiety, and many other mental illnesses. It is believed that Yoga consists of more than 50 postures.
All these Mudra or postures have their purpose; one of these Mudra is Shambhavi Mudra. Shambhavi mudra is also called Shambhavi Mahamudra; its practice is considered very important for yogis. So let’s have a look at some essential and helpful information about this Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya.
What is Shambhavi Mudra?
Mudra means a particular type of situation. We do many kinds of asanas in yoga and meditation, which we also call yoga mudra. Shambhavi Mudra is also known as the ‘Eyebrow Center Gazing Technique.’ It is a form of meditation that involves the ‘Ajna Chakra’ or the discovery of the third eye’s power.
It is said and believed that our attention becomes equal to Lord Shiva’s meditation by mastering this posture. This practice of meditation helps a person to gain concentration and improve mental health.
It is tough to practice. The unique thing about this posture is that it keeps your eyes open, but you cannot see anything. According to the Gherand Samhita, a yogi looks inside himself by the Shambhavi mudra.
If you want to control the body over your emotions and anger or keep the mind under your control, this Yogamudra and meditation technique is suitable. It would help if you practiced it.
The detailed description of this mudra comes in the Bhagavad Gita, Patanjali Yoga Sutras, Amansak Yoga, Gherand Samhita, Shiva Samhita, Goraksha Samhita, Hatha Yoga Pradeepika, Yoga Chintamani, and many texts of Yoga. According to Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudeva, Shambhavi Mudra is a Mahamudra in yoga.
Scientists have unanimously concluded through medical research that Shambhavi Mudra concentration, emotional balance, energy level in the body, mental peace and spiritual achievements, allergies, asthma, heart disease, diabetes, insomnia, depression, etc. Miraculous benefits have been seen.
Benefits of Shambhavi Mudra
Yoga is considered one of the most beneficial forms of physical activity. It consists of the internal and external systems of our body. If practiced properly, they help in maintaining the inner strength of our body.
It helps us to connect with ourselves and find our inner strength and confidence. Let us know some Shambhavi Mahamudra Benefits-
1. To improve the body and increase concentration
Shambhavi Mudra is a form of yoga whose primary purpose is to improve concentration power and help humans relax the brain’s nerves. It involves staring at the eyebrows at the center and discovering the energy stored within us.
Shambhavi Mudra Kriya helps improve concentration and allows a task to be performed efficiently. Intensive meditation is necessary to keep our routine healthy and fruitful. Therefore, one should practice this mudra daily for a few minutes.
2. Improves interpersonal communication skills
As mentioned above, the Sambhavi Mahamudra improves mental health, so it also helps in improving interpersonal communication skills. An introverted person may not be able to communicate with people because the individual steps into the crowd.
Therefore it is necessary to feel and persevere the inner strength, and one must have a confident personality to face people. This mudra’s practice helps a person connect deeply with oneself, which has an alert state of mind.
Therefore this pose is a helpful way to improve communication skills and improve one’s personality.
3. Shambhavi Mudra Helps to Detoxifying the Body
Accumulation of toxins in our body is one of the reasons for our becoming ill. Therefore, it is essential to detoxify one’s body and clean it internally. Some people prefer natural methods to perform this process.
Therefore yoga is the first method that allows the body to detoxify without any harmful components or ingredients naturally.
While practicing Shambhavi mudra is done as destroying water from our eyes. Shambhavi Mudra Kriya involves focusing our attention towards the center of our eyebrow, so by practicing it, the person’s eyes start getting watery.
It is toxic water that is removed from the path of the eye. Therefore it is not just yoga posture but one of the detoxification processes.
4. Helps in maintaining emotional stability
There are various benefits of practicing this mudra, but the most significant advantage is that it helps in maintaining emotional stability and gaining inner peace and happiness. It helps to relax the nerves of the brain and keep the mind in a conscious state.
When the brain’s veins are relaxed, it keeps the negativity away from the brain and maintains the jovial mood. Therefore it is one of the best ways to maintain positive vibes and maintain a strong emotional level.
5. Helps to Maintain digestive system
In Shambhavi Mahamudra, the person sits in an upright position, allowing the flow of food to flow directly into the digestive system. Posture not only helps improve concentration power but is also necessary to improve the digestive system.
Breathing deeply, focusing on a focused point, and reincarnating a holy chant while practicing posture, all of these help the digestive system. Therefore people suffering from digestive problems should apply this mudra in their lifestyle to improve inner strength and health.
Time & Duration to Practice
Shambhavi Mudra practice can be done two times a day. The first practice should be done in the morning, empty stomach, and the second in the evening.
Be sure to maintain at least 4 hours difference between practicing Shambhavi Mudra and between meals.
In the beginning, Shambhavi mudra can be practiced from 5 to 6-minutes. Still, once you get used to continuing to keep your eyes on the center of your eyebrows without any tension, you can gradually increase the duration of practice more.
How To Do Shambhavi Mudra Step by step Procedure
To do any mudra, you should choose a good place where you feel comfortable practicing yoga; making yourself feel comfortable is the initial step of yoga posture.
Here below, we have given four ways to do Shambhavi mudra; you can practice any one method according to your convenience, so let’s know Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya Steps-
- In the first step, you have to decide on a location. After that, you determine the time at which you will practice it.
- In the second step, sit in any meditation posture like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Sukhasana, or Swastikasana, in which you are comfortable. Now bring the fingers of Gyan Mudra or Chin Mudra and place the palms on the knees.
- In the third step, you have to do nothing more than focus on your eyebrow centre in this posture. With our own eyes, we cannot see the place where the two eyebrows meet. But there is an attempt to centre the vision between the eyebrows. Roll both eyes upwards and try to focus on the eyebrows centre.
- In the fourth step, You will now see two eyebrows as two curved lines that meet in the centre in the fourth step. It forms a type of V-shaped line in the centre. Concentrate the eyes at this point in the lower central region of the V-shaped line. Maintain this position for as long as you can.
- In the fifth step, the eye muscles will begin to ache within a few seconds or minutes. Relax the eyes and bring them back to normal. Rest for some time and try again. With practice, the person can maintain this meditation for a more extended time.
Take care to breathe normally during exercise. As you proceed with the meditation technique, your breath will slow down and become more subtle. Shambhavi Mahamudra can move into a deep state; meditating posture activates the Ajna Chakra.
Shambhavi Mudra Practice Note
Before practicing Shambhavi Mudra it is advised to acquire some proficiency in the nose tip gauging technique (Agochari Mudra) to achieve a certain degree of control and endurance with gazing at a point.
- place one finger on the tip of the nose
- focus both eyes on the fingers
- Keeping the eyes glued to the fingers, slowly move the finger upwards until the eye is pulled enough to focus on the center of the brow bone and the tip of the finger is out of sight over the browbone.
If this initial exercise is done regularly in the way described here, after some practice the eyes will automatically be drawn upward to focus on the eyebrow center.
Also to master this kriya, first practice Trataka, which requires keeping an eye on an object, and then one can slowly move on to focus the eyes between the eyebrows.
Shambhavi Mudra Variations
When one has mastered the practice of doing Shambhavi mudra with open eyes, he can try to do it even with his eyes closed. Maintaining this posture with closed eyes is a bit difficult as the gaze here lacks any navigational indicators, such as the V shape created by the curvature of the eyebrows when done with open eyes (eyes towards the center of the eyebrows).
Sadhguru Shambhavi Mahamudra Step by Step Procedure Video
Shambhavi Mudra Precautions
Let’s Know what precautions should be taken while performing Shambhavi Mudra-
- Please do not force them to look at the center of the eyebrows with eyes. This will cause pain in the muscles of the eyes and headaches.
- During this practice, keep your breath normal and keep flowing in your meditation.
- If you have achieved perfection in this practice, then you can practice taking deep breaths in it.
- If your eyes start hurting during this practice, then stop practicing it for some time and take a rest.
Friends, we hope you have liked this post about Shambhavi Mudra Steps, Benefits, and Precautions. It is our endeavor that we give you all Health-related problems solutions.
If you liked our health-related post, please share this post (Shambhavi Mudra Steps, Benefits, and Precautions) with your family or friends so that they can also benefit from it. Hope that the information given in the article was beneficial for you. If you face any problems with How to do Shambhavi Mudra, then please share your feedback and thoughts in the comment section. We would love to hear from you. For more information related to health, you can read our other articles. Thanks for visiting OURLIFEMANTRA.